Why Kubernetes APIs
Kubenernetes APIs provide consistent and well defined endpoints for objects adhering to a consistent and rich structure.
This approach has fostered a rich ecosystem of tools and libraries for working with Kubernetes APIs.
Users work with the APIs through declaring objects as yaml or json config, and using common tooling to manage the objects.
Building services as Kubernetes APIs provides many advantages to plain old REST, including:
- Hosted API endpoints, storage, and validation.
- Rich tooling and clis such as
- Support for Authn and granular Authz.
- Support for API evolution through API versioning and conversion.
- Facilitation of adaptive / self-healing APIs that continuously respond to changes in the system state without user intervention.
- Kubernetes as a hosting environment
Developers may build and publish their own Kubernetes APIs for installation into running Kubernetes clusters.